Cordless dremel rotary tools can be really handy for people who want a portable dremel type rotary tool.
Although battery operated, the best cordless dremel tool models still pack enough power to get most tasks done.
Cordless dremels are made by the dremel brand itself, and come in a few different models, each of which have different features.
We discuss and identify those rotary tool models below in the top rated cordless dremel tool list, best cordless dremel tool reviews, and best cordless dremel tool buyer’s guide & FAQ.
If you are interested in comparing the cordless models to the electric/corded Dremel models, or you can’t decide which type to get, you can read more in:
If you’re running a little short on time, you can check out the top rated cordless Dremel list immediately below.
Otherwise, you can read the guide and reviews in full.
Top Rated Cordless Dremel Tool List
|Cordless Dremel Tool Model||Comments||Check Price|
|Dremel 8220 Cordless Rotary Tool||Best Performance Cordless Dremel Rotary Tool||Check Dremel 8220 Price On Amazon|
|Dremel 8050-N/18 Micro Rotary Tool Kit with 18 Accessories||Best Small Cordless Dremel Rotary Tool||Check Dremel 8050 Price On Amazon|
Best Cordless Dremel Tool Reviews
Dremel 8220 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool – Best Cordless Dremel Tool
We rated the Dremel 8220 as the best variable speed cordless Dremel rotary tool on the market.
It is a 12 volt battery operated rotary tool.
You can read more about the Dremel 8220 in a review here.
Dremel 8050 Micro Rotary Tool – Best Micro Dremel Tool, Best Dremel Tool For Jewelry Making
We rated the Dremel 8050 as the best micro Dremel tool overall, and the best for jewelry making.
The design is optimised towards sitting in your hand like a pen, and it has a cool LED nose feature that illuminates your work for extra vision and convenience.
Read more about the Dremel 8050 in our review.
Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool
A 4.8 volt, small, cordless, Ni-Cd battery Dremel rotary tool.
Because of it’s size, a lot of people use it for nail grooming, sanding, and very light and small tasks.
Can accept all Dremel accessories with up to a 1/8 inch shank.
Read the Dremel 7300 Minimite cordless review here.
Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool
A small 4.8 volt cordless Dremel tool designed specifically for grooming pet nails.
Dremel 7000-N/5 6-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool
The Dremel 7000-N/5 is tiny – which is great if you want a lightweight cordless dremel rotary tool.
It’s the only Dremel cordless rotary tool that functions on disposable AA alkaline batteries.
If you want a small and convenient cordless Dremel for a range of application around the house, it’s worth a look.
Check out the Dremel 7000 review here.
Dremel 8100 8 volt Lithium Ion Variable Speed Cordless Rotary Tool
A variable speed, 8 volt, cordless Dremel rotary tool that sits awkwardly between the Dremel 8220 and Dremel 8050 in a lot of aspects.
Not a bad tool at all, but probably better value in either the 8220 or 8050 in our opinion.
Read more about the Dremel 8100 in this review.
Dremel 7700 MultiPro 7.2-Volt Cordless Rotary Tool
A 7.2 volt, small, cordless, Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd Battery) Dremel rotary tool.
It works best as a lightweight and small cordless tool for most light tasks.
It would be particularly good for shaping, trimming, cutting, grinding, sanding and cleaning – you can use it on pet nails.
It comes with a standard kit, or an automotive kit.
Read the Dremel 7700 cordless Dremel rotary tool review here.
NOTE: there are also popular specialty cordless Dremel tools available:
Dremel 7000-PK 6-Volt Pumpkin Carving Kit
Best Cordless Dremel Tool: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
Other Names For Cordless Dremel Tool
- Portable Dremel Rotary Tool
- Battery Operated Dremel Rotary Tool
What Is A Cordless Dremel Tool?
A cordless dremel tool is a dremel rotary tool that does not operate with a corded electrical supply.
Cordless dremel rotary tools operate from either lithium ion, Nickel Cadmium or AA batteries.
The lithium ion and Ni-Ca batteries are re-chargeable.
What Is A Cordless Dremel Tool Used For, and What Does A Cordless Dremel Tool Do?
The cordless dremel rotary tools allow you greater portability than the corded Dremel tool.
There is a whole range of cordless Dremel tools that are each different sizes, have different features and are used for different uses and tasks.
For example, the cordless Dremel 8220 is the higher performance and all around cordless dremel tool, whilst something like the Dremel 8100 is designed specifically for finishing, intricate sanding, polishing, cleaning, engraving.
Types of Cordless Dremel Tools
The cordless Dremel rotary tools can be divided into 4 types based on their battery types and uses:
1. Lithium Ion Battery Cordless Dremel Rotary Tools
Includes the Dremel 8220 Series, Dremel 8100 Series and Dremel 8050 Series.
These are the largest cordless models in size, and have the highest volt batteries – they are best for the widest range of tasks and the heavier tasks.
They are re-chargeable and all variable speed.
2. Ni-Cd (Nickel Cadmium) Battery Cordless Dremel Rotary Tools
Includes the Dremel 7700 Series and 7300 Series.
These are the small and micro cordless models used mainly for light and medium tasks.
They are re-chargeable and two speed tools.
3. AA Alkaline Battery Cordless Dremel Rotary Tools
Includes the Dremel 7000 series.
Is the smallest of the Dremel cordless rotary tools, and is used for the lightest sanding tasks.
You have to buy AA batteries, and the tool is two speed.
4. Specialty Cordless Dremel Rotary Tools
Includes the Dremel 7000-PK 6-Volt model for Pumpkin Carving , and the Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool.
Cordless Dremel Tool Bits & Accessories
- A Dremel 160 bit/accessory kit with a case to hold them all – the standard models purchases only come with a handful of bits and accessories
- Keyless Chuck – for quicker and easier bit changing
- Additional sanding pads – for when your current sanding pad wears out
- Dremel Attachments – any Dremel attachments you might need like a flex shaft for example
- Extra lithium ion and Ni-Cad batteries
How To Choose A Cordless Dremel Tool
Pick from the types of cordless dremel rotary tools based on the considerations below:
- Do you want a larger, medium, small or micro sized tool?
- Do you want a 12 volt, 8 volt, or less than 8 volt tool?
- Do you want a tool for a range of activities, or more for precise and light activities like sanding?
- Do you want a variable speed or dual speed tool?
- Do you want a lithium ion, ni-cad or AA battery tool?
Best Cordless Dremel Tool For…
- Best Cordless Dremel Tool For The Money
Dremel 8220 Series
- Best Cordless Dremel Tool For Heavy Tasks
Dremel 8220 Series
- Best Mid-Sized Cordless Dremel Tool For Medium Tasks
Dremel 8100 Series
- Best Small Cordless Dremel Tool For Light Tasks
Dremel 8050 Series
- Best Cordless Dremel Tool For Jewelry Making
Dremel 8050 Series
- Best Cordless Dremel Tool For Dog Nails
Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool
Features To Look For In A Cordless Dremel Tool
Look out whether the following features are present in your cordless dremel rotary tool:
- What is the voltage of the battery – 12 volt, 8 volt, 6 volt?
- What is the type of battery – lithium ion, Ni-Cad, alkaline?
- How long does the battery last for during normal operation?
- How long does the battery take to charge? – 1 hour, 3 hours?
- How big is the tool?
- What tasks is the tool designed for?
- Which bits and accessories does the tool come with?
- What extras do you need to buy in terms of bits and accessories to do the tasks you want to do?
- Is there any accessories/bits and attachments the tool doesn’t take?
- Is the tool variable speed (up to 5 speeds), or two speed?
- Does the tool come with Dremel’s EZ change cap for easier and quicker bit change?
- Do you get a charger with the tool?
How To Use A Cordless Dremel Tool
1. Make sure the batteries are charged, or you have replacement batteries
2. Pick the right dremel for the demand of the activity – heavy, medium or light
3. Untwist the cap or chuck, and insert your bit or attachment
4. Tighten the bit or chuck, and make sure your bit or attachment is secure
5. Select the speed for your tasks, set the speed, and begin work
Best Cordless Dremel Tool Resources
tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates