We rated the Dremel 8220 as the best cordless, variable speed Dremel rotary tool on the market.
Much of this has to do with the fact that as of May 2017, the Dremel 8220 is Dremel’s highest performance cordless tool.
But, it also has to do with the fact that, as you will find in this Dremel 8220 review, apart from the limitations of having a battery operated tool, the Dremel 8220 is very good value for money for what you get in a kit and the range of uses it has.
Let’s look at how this tool may or may not fit into your finishing tool arsenal…
Dremel 8220 Review
Dremel 8220 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool
We rated the Dremel 8220 as the best cordless dremel rotary tool.
What’s Good About It?
- Portable and no cords to deal with
- Fits all dremel accessories and attachments
- It is very well made – with a high quality unit, motor and shaft.
- The 8220 12V lithium ion battery gives you more operating time and power than the 8V Dremel 8100 battery
- Variable speed unit of between 5,000 – 35,000 rpms
- Not too bulky to handle – dimensions are 13.75 x 4 x 9.28 in
- Quick charging time for a performance tool – approximately 3 hours
- Has an EZ twist system nose cap to help change bits easier and quicker
- This particular kit comes with the accessories, attachment, battery and case included
What’s Not So Great?
- Even though the battery life is good, it is probably only designed for half hour to an hour of heavier use on thicker materials (light work you can get away with more). If you plan on using for longer periods, make sure you get the extra battery with the Dremel 8220-2/28 kit, or buy an electric dremel rotary tool.
What Else Do You Need To Use This Cordless Dremel Tool?
Two common optional extras you may get with this cordless Dremel tool are:
- All Purpose Dremel 160 Bit Kit – Dremel 710-08 All-Purpose Rotary Accessory Kit, 160-Piece (on Amazon)
- Keyless Chuck for Quick Bit Changing – Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck (on Amazon)
Where Can I Check Out This Cordless Dremel Tool?
Dremel 8220 Buyer’s Guide
What is the Dremel 8220?
A cordless, 12 volt, variable speed Dremel rotary tool.
As of May 2017, it is Dremel’s highest performance battery operated tool in the cordless range.
What is the Dremel 8220 used for?
The Dremel 8220 can be used for any task that the Dremel range of bits and accessories allows such as cutting, grinding, carving, sanding, polishing and more.
It would be particularly good for performing work where you don’t want a cord, where you will be away from a mains power outlet, or for work where you are moving site to site.
Keep in mind that Dremel rotary tools are finishing type tools for smaller and lighter works.
Who is the Dremel 8220 for?
- Those who want the the best cordless dremel rotary tool in terms of performance and quality
- Those who want a range of bits (28 in total) with their dremel tool to perform a wide range of tasks – this Dremel comes with bits for cutting, grinding, sharpening, cleaning, polishing and sanding
- Those who want a cordless dremel tool for which presents good value for money
- Those who want an EZ Twist Nose Cap (tool-less bit changing)
Who is the Dremel 8220 not for?
- Those who need the unlimited power supply of an electric Dremel tool
- Those who will be consistently working on thicker or harder materials – you will chew through the battery too quickly
- Those who only need to perform one or two specific tasks like say grinding and polishing – there are smaller rotary tools for that
- Those who want a mini rotary tool
Dremel 8220 Accessories & Bits
- Extra battery (optional)
- Any accessories/bits you need
- Any attachments you need – potentially a flex shaft attachment for precision works like wood carving for example.
Dremel 8220 Resources
“Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates”[/alert-announce]