Folding solar panels that are 50 Watts and above will be good for off grid applications that involve charging 12 volt batteries.
Below is our 120w Folding Solar Panel Review for the Go Power! 120 Watt Folding Solar Panel Kit – with solar controller.
The kit will suit most situations you need to charge 12 volt DC batteries in RV’s, boats, cabins, cars & more.
It’s easy to fold out, set-up and pack away in it’s travel case – making it good for camping, and other outdoor activities.
Let’s have a closer look at it …
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
120w Folding Solar Panel Reviews
Go Power! GP-PSK-120 120W Portable Folding Solar Kit with 10 Amp Solar Controller
What’s Good About This 120 Watt Panel?
- Easy to store and set up/pack away
- Good for those who don’t want to fix or mount a solar panel to their Rv or boat – these are portable panels
- Have anderson style connectors – you can interchange the charging accessory to best suite your needs for 12 volt battery charging
- Weather resistant – will be OK in the rain
- The 18 volt rated system can charge a range of 12 volt batteries such as cars, RV’s, trailers, marine batteries and more
- Comes as a kit with a solar controller (built in) so you don’t have to buy one separately
- Monocrystalline panels are good in direct sunlight – efficient
- Weighs 33 lbs – not too heavy
- The 120 Watt model dimension are 32.5 x 19.9 x 2.8 in (closed), and 32.5 x 39.8 x 1.4 in open
- Split warranty – 25 years for the module) / 3 years for the controller – make sure you check with the seller you buy from as to the guarantee for the warranty
- Full kit includes –10 amp charge controller (GP-PWM-10), Battery clamps, Quick connectors, Ring terminal connectors, SAE solar plug adapter, XLR-style solar plug adapter, 15′ of UV 12/2 cable, heavy-duty, nylon storage case
What Isn’t So Great, And Could Be Improved?
- Not a problem with the panel itself, but you’ll need to park in an area with direct sunlight, otherwise the panel won’t run to capacity
- Sometimes the wires might be loose or the controller not fully snapped on when you receive the product – ring support in this case, and they can easily tell you how to remedy this
- You have to make sure beforehand that you get the right connectors for your battery
- You’ll most likely need to purchase the expansion cable to give you a bit more flexibility and length with moving the panel around
What Other Accessories/Devices Might You Need With This Panel?
- Extension Cable (to give you more reach between your panel and battery) – Go Power 30 Feet Expansion Cable (on Amazon)
- 7 Pin Trailer Plug – Go Power! 7 Pin Trailer Plug Accessory (on Amazon)
Where To Check Out This Solar Panel?
120w Folding Solar Panels: Buyer’s Guide
What Are Folding Solar Panels?
Folding solar panels are a form of portable solar panel chargers.
They come in the small 6-30 watt models that can be carried around backpacking and hiking for example.
They also come in the larger 50 watt + models that are used for charging mainly 12 volt batteries in RV’s, boats, cabins, cars etc.
How Do 120 Watt Solar Panel Compare To Other Solar Panel Sizes?
As a guide, a 100 Watt solar panel is good for direct charging most 12 volt DC batteries.
120 Watt will be more than enough for most camping, RV and outdoor applications.
If you have multiple batteries to charge – you may consider multiple panels or kits.
Who Are Go Power?
Go Power! is a division of the publicly traded company Carmanah.
Go Power! has more than 15 years of experience in the RV and fleet truck market under Carmanah, offering mobile solar systems and technology.
What’s Good About Go Power?
Unlike say some of the pop up flexible solar panel brands and sellers, Go Power have the backing and resources of Carmanah – and many years experience.
The panels are high quality, and the technical support is also good.
The built in solar controller is a good feature, and we also like how easy the panels are to set up, and the included carry case is handy for storage.
What Could Be Improved With Go Power?
Go-Power are haven’t had as much broad success as some other portable solar panel brands like Renogy, or Goal Zero for example.
One improvement from Carmanah could be growing Go-Power as a company, developing the products, and becoming slightly more responsive with the sales and customer support service (although their responses overall are good).
Are There Any Other 120 Watt Folding Solar Panel Brands To Look At?
ECO-Worthy make a few 120 watt folding solar panels – but, they aren’t the greatest quality in our opinion.
The prices on the ECO-Worthy panels are quite competitive though.
120w Folding Solar Panel Reviews: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.