Below, we review several different types and models of Renogy solar panels.
They include the:
Renogy Folding Solar Panels – 60 Watt, & 100 Watt models
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Review
Let’s take a look!
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Renogy Folding Solar Panels 60 Watt & 100 Watt: Review
As we mentioned in our Renogy vs. Go Power! folding solar panel comparison – there are some good options out there is you’re looking for a folding portable solar panel.
One of the brands that makes a high quality folding solar panel is Renogy.
This is a Renogy folding solar panels review of their 60 Watt and 100 Watt foldable solar suitcases.
If you are wondering if these panels are for you – they are good for 12 volt DC battery charging applications – RV’s, marine batteries, cabin batteries etc.
Let’s look at the two Renogy models in more depth …
Renogy Folding Solar Panels Review
Renogy 60 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase
What’s Good About This Panel?
- Affordable price and very good quality
- Can be used on most 12 volt battery applications like RV, camping, boat, trailer, car, van, cabin etc.
- Comes as 2 x Monocrystalline Solar Panels in the one setup – they are 18 volt rated so are suitable for 12 volt batteries
- Panels are equipped with an aluminum stand, latches, and heavy duty handle
- Is an alternative to a generator or electrical outlet (if used with an inverter)
- Folded dimensions are 25.6 x 13.8 x 2.9 inches
- Kit comes with one 10A Viewstar negative grounded charge controller with LCD display (4 stage charging), one 10ft tray cable and a soft protective casing
- Panels and accessories come with separate warranties
What’s Not So Good?
- 60 Watts is a decent amount of power for RV’s, cars, etc, but for most 12 volt battery setups, a 100 watt panel is better for quicker charging.
- Weighs almost 20 lbs – but this is a sign of the quality components its made of
- Doesn’t come with a battery tender or expansion cable
- Some might prefer the solar controller to come as separately attached
What Other Accessories/Devices Might You Need With This Panel?
- Battery Tender – Deltran Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Charger Quick Disconnect (on Amazon)
- Extension Cable (plugs into battery tender) – Battery Tender 081-0148-25 25′ Quick Disconnect Extension Cable (on Amazon)
Where To Check Out This Solar Panel?
Renogy Foldable Solar Suitcase Kit 100W Mono Without Charge Controller
Renogy Folding Solar Panel: Buyer’s Guide
Who Are Renogy?
Renogy are a very well established and successful solar and sustainable energy company.
They make solar panels for homes, businesses and a range of portable activities – along with a range of solar panel accessories and extras.
To give you an idea of how successful Renogy have been – they were #444 on the list of the fastest growing companies in America in 2016.
What Do They Do Well With Their Solar Panels?
Some of the things Renogy do well are:
Their panels overall are very good quality, and you can get some fantastic value for money solar kits with everything you need to get started – whereas other solar companies might just give you a panel and you have to find other parts and accessories yourself
Most solar accessories are compatible with Renogy products because of how well established they are
Produce a range of solar panels across a number of different categories
Invest back into the business to develop existing products making them better, and creating new products
Have good customer support and technical support for their panels
Have a lot of good resources and helpful information on their website to help you with finding out about their panels
What Could Be Improved With Their Solar Panels?
Two improvements might be:
That the 100 watt model comes with a charge controller
And, that both models come with the battery tender and extension cable
Make sure if buying through a third party, that Renogy guarantee your warranty.
Are There Any Other Large Folding Solar Panel Brands To Look At?
Yes, Go Power! do 80 Watt and 120 Watt models with anderson connectors.
Ecoworthy also do large folding solar panels, but we prefer the Renogy and Go Power! brands over Ecoworthy right now.
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Review
In terms of value for money with small solar panels that can be used off grid, the framed/hard panels are probably best.
Renogy is one such company that makes this type of panel, and we have provided a Renogy 100 Watt (12 volt rated) Solar Starter Kit Review.
This kit is good for any instance where you have 12 volt DC batteries to charge (marine batteries, RV’s, cabins, bikes, cars etc.).
It’s called a starter kit because it comes with all the necessary accessories and solar controller to set up a basic solar system – it comes with a solar controller & can be used for 12 volt batteries
If you are considering your first off grid solar system, this could be a good one for your consideration.
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Review
Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit
Whats Good About This Solar Panel Starter Kit?
- Will be suitable (when used with a solar controller) for 12 volt DC batteries
- Suitable for a wide range of applications including RV’s, marine batteries, cars, motorbikes and other 12 volt batteries
- Crystalline panel – these panels are the most efficient in direct sunlight
- 1 panel is rated at 100 watts
- Junction box is protected against debris and water
- Renogy Wanderer is equipped with multiple electronic protections; overcharging, overload, short-circuit and reversed polarity – 4-Stage battery charging process
- Aluminium frame is corrosion resistant
- Lightweight at 16 lbs
- Dimensions are 47.0 X 21.3 X 1.4 inches
- Come with pre drilled fixing holes
- Starter kit comes with one Renogy 100W 12V Poly/ Mono Solar Panel, one 30A PWM Wanderer Charge Controller, one 20ft 10AWG MC4 Adaptor Kit, one 8ft 10AWG Tray Cable, and one set of Z-brackets.
- Warranty is 25 years for the panel, 5 years for the material and workmanship, and 1 year for the accessories (check with the seller you buy from as to the conditions of the warranty)
What’s Not So Great?
- The charge controller does work – but it’s not the absolute best charge controller you can get. Having said that, for the price, getting the panel AND the controller + accessories means you are getting value for money anyway.
What Extras Might Your Need With It
Power Inverter – BESTEK 400W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V (on Amazon)
Where to Check It Out?
You can also get a standalone panel if you want to buy the accessories separately or you just want to add to your existing setup – Renogy 100 Watts Solar Panel (on Amazon)
Other Sized Renogy Solar Starter Kits:
- Renogy 200 Watt Solar Starter Kit (on Amazon)
- Renogy 300 Watt Solar Starter Kit (on Amazon) [currently not available]
- Renogy 400 Watt Solar Starter Kit (on Amazon)
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Buyer’s Guide
Who Are Renogy As A Company?
Renogy are a portable solar system company that began at Louisiana State University.
As of April 2017, they were #444 on Inc. 5000’s list of the fastest growing companies.
They make solar products for the home, commercial properties, power stations, and off grid applications like RV’s, boats and other 12 volt applications.
What Do They Do Well?
Renogy have the advantaged of being successful and well established – which means many resources to develop their product range.
They manufacture and supply a wide range of portable power products including but not limited to:
Lightweight and highly portable folding panels
They have reliable customer support, technical support and a wide range of self developed resources to help you use their products.
What Could Be Improved?
As we mentioned above – the PWM controllers included in the starter kits are not the absolute highest quality.
They will work, but they aren’t the strongest controllers, and if you add several panels to your system, you’ll want to consider a controller upgrade.
Another thing to mention which is common to all portable solar panel companies, is that when you buy through a third party seller, youll want to make sure you know the conditions of the warranty provided.
What Is the Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit Good For Specifically?
This panel is best for 12 volt DC batteries like those found in RV’s, boats, cars, motorbikes etc.
Are There Any Other 100 Watt 12 Volt Starter Kit Brands To Look At?
There are many, but Windynation and HQST are two in particular you may want to compare with.
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.