This is a Powermatic 54HH Jointer Review – a 6 inch, ground based helical cutterhead jointer.
Compared to the Powermatic 54a, this jointer has a helical cutterhead which Powermatic designed to be quieter and produce a smoother cut than the 54a.
This jointer is best for those looking for a jointer that produces a quality finish, without having the absolute longest table compared to say an 8 inch jointer.
It takes up more space and is heavier than a benchtop jointer, but is much more stable and better performing.
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Powermatic 54hh Jointer
If you don’t have time to read the review and buyer’s guide, you can check out the jointer and price here…
Powermatic 54hh Jointer Review
Powermatic 6 Inch 54HH Helical Cutterhead Jointer
What’s Good About It?
- 6 Inch (table can fit up to 6 inch wide timber lengths) Helical cutterhead Jointer
- Has a 1 horsepower, 1 Phase, 115 volt pre-wired (can be converted to 230 volt though), 13 Amp motor – with a recommended 20 amp circuit size
- Max cutting depth of 1/2 an inch
- Has a helical knife cutterhead – 40 knives which are 15 x 15 x 2.5 inches in size – requires no adjustment once installed
- Helical cutterhead is claimed to be quiter and smoother than the straight cutterhead
- Cutterhead speed is 6000 RPM
- Table size is 66 inches long x 7-1/4 inches wide
- Height of table from the floor is 31-1/2 inches
- Infeed and outfeed tables are both 32-1/2 inches long
- Fence is 38 inches long x 4 inches high
- Fence can tilt 45 degrees either way
- Fence has positive stops at 45, 90, -45 inches
- CFM required for dust collection is 600 – 4 inch diameter dust port
- Has a massive manual on Powermatic’s website
- Comes with the jointer unit; one stand; one door with mounting hardware; one dust chute with mounting hardware; one fence assembly; one pulley cover; one belt; one cutterhead guard; two push blocks; one fence handle; one manual; one warranty card; and one hardware bag.
What Could Be Improved?
- Not exactly a production jointer – but is good for fine finish on your wood
- Setup could be slightly complicated for beginners
- Not a light jointer – quite heavy – will need a mobile base
What Else Might You Get With It? – Accessories
- A separate benchtop planer tool if you want one (to use after you are finished cutting/milling the timber).
- HTC Adjustable Mobile Base (on Amazon) – Weighs OVER 300 lbs. Will definitely need a separate mobile base to move this jointer around after set-up.
- Dust collection system
- Dust port reducer
Where To Check It Out?
Powermatic 54hh Jointer: Buyer’s Guide
What Is The Powermatic 54hh Jointer?
This is a 6 inch helical cutterhead closed stand jointer.
Who Is The Powermatic 54hh Jointer For?
Those looking for a high quality 6 inch jointer
Those looking for a quiet jointer with a smooth finish
Those looking for a helical cutterhead jointer
Who Is The Powermatic 54hh Jointer Not For?
Those looking for a small, light benchtop type jointer
Those looking for bigger than a 6 inch jointer
Those looking for a cheap or affordable jointer
Powermatic 54hh Jointer – Bits & Accessories
A separate benchtop planer tool if you want one
HTC Adjustable Mobile Base (on Amazon) – Weighs OVER 300 lbs. Will definitely need a separate mobile base to move this jointer around after set-up.
Dust collection system
Dust port reducer
Powermatic 54hh Jointer: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.