You’ve come to the Powermatic 54a Jointer Review – this is a 6 inch closed stand/ground based jointer.
The Powermatic 54a would best suit woodworkers looking for a higher quality jointer than the cheaper benchtop jointers available.
It has very strong steel base with iron fence and table, and the table is 66 inches long in total for longer lengths of timber.
We would note that this is a heavier jointer that will take up more space than a smaller and lighter benchtop jointer – so make sure you get a mobile base and have enough room for it.
Read on for more information on this 6 inch Powermatic jointer …
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Powermatic 54a Jointer
If you don’t have time to read the review and buyer’s guide, you can check out the jointer and price here…
View the Powermatic 54a Jointer On Amazon
Powermatic 54a Jointer Review
Powermatic 54A Deluxe 6-Inch Jointer
What’s Good About It?
- 6 Inch Jointer (means is has a capacity for up to 6 inch wide pieces of wood)
- Has a 1 horsepower, 1 Phase, 115 (can be converted to 230 volt though), 13 Amp motor – with a recommended 20 amp circuit size
- Max cutting depth of 1/2 an inch
- Quick set straight knife cutterhead – 3 knives which are 6-1/6 x 3/4 x 5/64 inches in size
- Cutterhead speed is 6000 RPM which produces 18,000 cuts per minute
- Table size is 66 inches long x 7-1/4 inches wide
- Height of table from the floor is 31-1/2 inches
- Infeed and outfeed tables are both 32-1/2 inches long
- Fence is 38 inches long x 4 inches high
- Fence can tilt 45 degrees either way
- Fence has positive stops at 45, 90, -45 inches
- Rabbeting ledge is 9 x 2-1/2 inches, with a 1/2 inch capacity
- CFM required for dust collection is 600 – 4 inch diameter dust port
- Comes with the jointer unit, one jointer stand, one door with mounting hardware, one dust chute with mounting hardware, one jointer assembly, one fence assembly, one pulley cover, one belt, one cutter-head guard, two hold-downs, one hardware bag, one fence handle, all necessary tools, manual, and warranty card.
What Could Be Improved?
- Adjusting the blades can be time consuming – quite fiddly
- The jointer as a whole is quite heavy – so you’ll have to buy a mobile base to move it around a room or workshop
- The instruction manual lacks as much information as it could have
- Initial set-up can take some time
What Else Might You Get With It?
- A separate benchtop planer tool if you want one (to use after you are finished cutting/milling the timber). We will link you to our article on Best Planer 2017-18: Buyer’s Guide & Reviews soon.
- HTC Adjustable Mobile Base (on Amazon) – Weighs OVER 300 lbs. Will definitely need a separate mobile base to move this jointer around after set-up.
Where To Check It Out?
View the Powermatic 54a Jointer On Amazon
Powermatic 54a Jointer: Buyer’s Guide
What Is The Powermatic 54a Jointer?
The Powermatic 54a is a 6 inch closed stand jointer.
Who Is The Powermatic 54a Jointer For?
Most professionals and woodworkers looking for a high quality jointer
Those looking for a closed stand/ground based jointer
Those looking for a 60+ inch table in total length for longer pieces of wood
Those with plenty of room in their workshop
Who Is The Powermatic 54a Jointer Not For?
Those looking for a budget type jointer such as a benchtop jointer
Those looking for a small and light jointer
Those looking for a jointer that can cut timber bigger than 6 inches wide
Powermatic 54a Jointer – Bits & Accessories
Dust extraction system
Separate planer machine if you need to plane the wood
Powermatic 54a Jointer: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.