In terms of value for money with small solar panels that can be used off grid, the framed/hard panels are probably best.
Renogy is one such company that makes this type of panel, and we have provided a Renogy 100 Watt (12 volt rated) Solar Starter Kit Review.
This kit is good for any instance where you have 12 volt DC batteries to charge (marine batteries, RV’s, cabins, bikes, cars etc.).
It’s called a starter kit because it comes with all the necessary accessories and solar controller to set up a basic solar system.
If you are considering your first off grid solar system, this could be a good one for your consideration.
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Review
Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit
Whats Good About This Solar Panel Starter Kit?
- Will be suitable (when used with a solar controller) for 12 volt DC batteries
- Suitable for a wide range of applications including RV’s, marine batteries, cars, motorbikes and other 12 volt batteries
- Crystalline panel – these panels are the most efficient in direct sunlight
- 1 panel is rated at 100 watts
- Junction box is protected against debris and water
- Renogy Wanderer is equipped with multiple electronic protections; overcharging, overload, short-circuit and reversed polarity – 4-Stage battery charging process
- Aluminium frame is corrosion resistant
- Lightweight at 16 lbs
- Dimensions are 47.0 X 21.3 X 1.4 inches
- Come with pre drilled fixing holes
- Starter kit comes with one Renogy 100W 12V Poly/ Mono Solar Panel, one 30A PWM Wanderer Charge Controller, one 20ft 10AWG MC4 Adaptor Kit, one 8ft 10AWG Tray Cable, and one set of Z-brackets.
- Warranty is 25 years for the panel, 5 years for the material and workmanship, and 1 year for the accessories (check with the seller you buy from as to the conditions of the warranty)
What’s Not So Great?
- The charge controller does work – but it’s not the absolute best charge controller you can get. Having said that, for the price, getting the panel AND the controller + accessories means you are getting value for money anyway.
What Extras Might Your Need With It
Power Inverter – BESTEK 400W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V (on Amazon)
Where to Check It Out?
You can also get a standalone panel if you want to buy the accessories separately or you just want to add to your existing setup – Renogy 100 Watts Solar Panel (on Amazon)
Other Sized Renogy Solar Starter Kits:
- Renogy 200 Watt Solar Starter Kit (on Amazon)
- Renogy 300 Watt Solar Starter Kit (on Amazon)
- Renogy 400 Watt Solar Starter Kit (on Amazon)
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Buyer’s Guide
Who Are Renogy As A Company?
Renogy are a portable solar system company that began at Louisiana State University.
As of April 2017, they were #444 on Inc. 5000’s list of the fastest growing companies.
They make solar products for the home, commercial properties, power stations, and off grid applications like RV’s, boats and other 12 volt applications.
What Do They Do Well?
Renogy have the advantaged of being successful and well established – which means many resources to develop their product range.
They manufacture and supply a wide range of portable power products including but not limited to:
Lightweight and highly portable folding panels
They have reliable customer support, technical support and a wide range of self developed resources to help you use their products.
What Could Be Improved?
As we mentioned above – the PWM controllers included in the starter kits are not the absolute highest quality.
They will work, but they aren’t the strongest controllers, and if you add several panels to your system, you’ll want to consider a controller upgrade.
Another thing to mention which is common to all portable solar panel companies, is that when you buy through a third party seller, youll want to make sure you know the conditions of the warranty provided.
What Is the Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit Good For Specifically?
This panel is best for 12 volt DC batteries like those found in RV’s, boats, cars, motorbikes etc.
Are There Any Other 100 Watt 12 Volt Starter Kit Brands To Look At?
There are many, but Windynation and HQST are two in particular you may want to compare with.
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Starter Kit: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.