One of the most important things you should learn from this Dremel Fortiflex 9100 Review, is that this tool is different to a standard Dremel rotary tool.
The Fortiflex is a flex shaft tool – which means it has an in built flexible shaft coming off the main motor. It also functions with a hand piece, and a speed controlling foot pedal.
Standard Dremel rotary tools come as a hard unit – with a flex shaft being available as an attachment which you might choose to buy separately.
The Fortiflex has a lower high speed than a standard Dremel variable speed rotary tool, but has much higher torque and horsepower.
As a flex shaft tool, the Dremel 9100 accepts all Dremel accessories and attachments so it’s very versatile, but it excels as a tool for precision high power tasks like wood carving, and working on plastics and soft metal doing engraving, detailing and grinding.
If you are interested in the Dremel 9100 Fortiflex, we think it’s also worth checking out the Foredom SR & TX flex shaft tools (view Foredom/Dremel comparison guide) – as they are of a similar high quality.
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Dremel Fortiflex 9100
Dremel Fortiflex 9100 Review
Dremel 9100-21 Forti-Flex 2.5-Amp Stationary Flex Shaft Precision Rotary Tool – Best Electric Dremel Tool For Carving and Detailed Projects
The Dremel 9100 Forti-Flex is an electric Dremel flex shaft tool.
It comes as a motor with a flex shaft built in + a handpiece. You control the speed of the tool from a foot pedal on the ground.
This is compared to the flex shaft attachment which you can get separately and attach to other standard Dremel rotary tools.
What’s Good About It?
- 2.5 Amp motor – 1/5 horsepower
- Variable speed – 0-23,000 RPM – control speed from an easy to use foot pedal
- 3 Jaw chuck for holding bits – accepting accessories with a shank size up to 5/32-inch (4.0 mm)
- Very quiet motor while in use
- Motor can hang up out of the way on a motor stand
- 120 volt tool
- Has a precision hand piece that is interchangeable – you can use other flex shaft tool handpieces on this Dremel Fortiflex
- 8 feet of electrical cord from tool to the power outlet
- Compatible with all Dremel accessories and attachments
- 38 inch long flex shaft
- Includes bits for carving, engraving, grinding, sharpening, cleaning, polishing, sanding and drilling
- Includes 21 Genuine Dremel accessories, Variable speed foot pedal, Heavy duty flex shaft, Hand-piece with three-jaw chuck, Wall hook
What’s Not So Great?
- Has a chuck key/tool to loosen and tighten the chuck, instead of a button/twist chuck that the Dremel 3000 has – you have to store the key in safe place and not lose it
- The chuck on this Dremel allows bits to sit only about 50% of the way in compared to the Dremel 3000 for example which allows the bits to sit in very securely. Although, it doesn’t appear to effect operation at all
- The hand piece you hold can heat up after extended operation, so you sometimes need to let it cool
What Else Do You Need To Use This Electric Dremel Tool?
Common optional extras with this electric dremel tool are:
- 228 Piece Accessories Kit – SE RA9228 228-Piece Rotary Tool Accessories Kit (on Amazon)
- Keyless Chuck – Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck (on Amazon)
Where Can I Check Out This Electric Dremel Tool?
Dremel Fortiflex 9100: Buyer’s Guide
What is the Dremel Fortiflex 9100?
The Dremel fortiflex 9100 is a flex shaft tool from the Dremel brand.
It comes with a motor which you can hang up, a flex shaft, an interchangeable handpiece and a foot pedal to control tool speed.
What is the Dremel Fortiflex 9100 used for?
It is specifically designed for power-carving, shaping and grinding applications.
But, if you have accessories for other tasks, it can accept all Dremel accessories and attachments – so it could cut, grind, sand, grind, route, polish clean, carve , engrave + more.
It is a high torque, lower speed tool, so keep in mind that if you think a Dremel 4000 or 4300 with a high speed of 35,000 RPM might be better.
Who is the Dremel Fortiflex 9100 for?
Those who want the manoeuvrability with a Dremel tool that a flex shaft offers – the hand piece is interchangeable with other flex shaft tool hand pieces to provide you with more options, as well as allowing you to use any existing hand pieces that you’ve already invested in.
Those who need to undertake detail based projects and tasks – great for carving and engraving! But, also comes with grinding, sharpening, cleaning, polishing, sanding and drilling bits
Those who want a dremel tool that offers high torque at lower speeds
Those who want a good alternative to the Foredom SR series flex shaft tool
Who is the Dremel Fortiflex 9100 not for?
Those who want an electric dremel rotary tool that isn’t a flex shaft model
Those that want a cordless Dremel tool
Those that want a heavy duty flex shaft tool like the Foredom TX series motor tool
Dremel Fortiflex 9100 Kits
You can get this tool in the 9100-21 Dremel Fortiflex kit with 21 accessories.
Dremel Fortiflex 9100 Accessories & Bits
Accessories and attachments that you require > an accessory kit is a good option
Dremel Fortiflex 9100: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.