When comparing the Dremel 8050 vs 8220, it’s clear these two cordless Dremel rotary tools are designed differently.
The 8220 as of May 2017 is Dremel’s latest high performance cordless tool – being a 12 volt, variable speed rotary tool.
The 8050 on the other hand is a micro, 8 volt, variable speed rotary tool.
One is built for max performance and versatility, while the other is built to deliver performance whilst also sitting like a pen in your hand and giving you that extra control and precision.
Let’s look at some of the other things that might influence which tool
Dremel 8050 vs 8220 Cordless Rotary Tool Comparison – Which Should You Get?
- Both cordless Dremel rotary tools
- Both run on lithium ion battery power
- Both are variable speed tools
- Both can accept most Dremel accessories and attachments
- Both have the EZ Twist nose cap
- The Dremel 8050 is smaller and lighter than the Dremel 8220
- The Dremel 8220 has a bigger battery capacity at 12 volts, compared to the Dremel 8050 at 8 volts
- The Dremel 8220 has a higher max speed range at 5,000 – 35,000 rpms, compared to the Dremel 8050 at 5,000 to 28,000 rpm
- The Dremel 8050 has an LED light built into the cap for more light on your work
- You get more accessories in the 8220 starter kit
Which Should You Get?
If you want a more versatile cordless Dremel tool, with larger battery capacity and an increased speed range – the Dremel 8220 is worth your consideration.
Dremel 8050 Micro
If you want a smaller 8 volt cordless Dremel tool, built more for comfort, precision and control – the Dremel 8050 is worth your consideration.
Dremel 8050 vs 8220 Cordless Rotary Tool Reviews
Dremel 8220 12 Volt Variable Speed Rotary Tool
We’ve already reviewed the Dremel 8220 12 volt, but as a summary:
- 12 volt lithium ion re-chargeable battery
- Accepts all Dremel accessories and attachments
- Variable speed unit of between 5,000 – 35,000 rpms
- Has an EZ twist system nose cap
- Comes in the 1/28 and 2/28 kits
Read more in the Dremel 8220 review here.
Dremel 8050 Micro 8 Volt Variable Speed Rotary Tool
We’ve already reviewed the Dremel 8050 8 volt, but as a summary:
- 8 volt lithium ion re-chargeable battery
- Micro tool – 6.5 x 9.75 x 3.75 in in dimensions
- Great for tasks like engraving, decorating and arts and crafts
- Variable speed – 5 speeds from 5,000 to 28,000 rpm
- Comes with 18 accessories for cutting, carving/grinding, cleaning, polishing and sanding
Read more in the Dremel 8050 review here.
Dremel 8050 vs 8220 Resources
[alert-announce]”tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com”
“Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates”[/alert-announce]