This is a short, but all-you-need-to-know Dremel 4200 Rotary Tool Review.
If we are to be honest, the Dremel 4200 tool itself is great. It is basically the Dremel 4000 – but lighter, slightly longer and with a slightly longer cord.
In practice though, this tool has probably been let down by the ‘love it or hate it’ Dremel EZ Change system for holding the bits.
A common complaint is that the system is either unreliable, or doesn’t hold the bits tight enough during operation.
If you are worried about this, Dremel has you covered as they do have the very reliable Dremel 4000 and Dremel 4300 models.
Some people have found the Dremel 4200 good to work with though, so if you want to know more, read on below.
Dremel 4200 Rotary Tool Review
Dremel 4200-6/40 High Performance Rotary Tool with EZ Change, 47-Piece Kit
The Dremel 4200 is a variable speed high performance electric Dremel rotary tool.
It is best suited for people who want a high performance Dremel, but want something more affordable than the top 4300 model Dremel.
What’s Good About It?
- 7 foot cord length – extra 1 foot on most electric Dremel rotary tools
- Comes with the EZ Change™ mechanism – some people HATE this mechanism, while others have found it OK. We believe the Dremel 4300, 4000 and 3000 are better options with EZ Twist or 3 Jaw Chuck changing mechanisms
- Variable speeds – 5,000 to 35,000 RPM with easy to use speed setting dial
- 1.6 Amp Motor
- Can be used with all current Dremel rotary tool attachments and accessories
- Replaceable motor brushes
- Electronic feedback for consistent speed under load
- Includes 6 Attachments, 40 Accessories, Hard Case
- Bits included are for carving, engraving, cutting, grinding, sharpening, cleaning, polishing, sanding and drilling
- Attachments included are 675 Lawn Mower & Garden Tool Sharpener, 678-01 Circle Cutter & Straight Edge Guide, 565 Multipurpose Cutting Kit, A550 Shield Rotary Attachment, A576 Sanding/Grinding Guide, A577 Detailer’s Grip Attachment, Adapter and Drive Coupler for Attachments 225, 575 and 670
What’s Not So Great?
- EZ change system doesn’t work well in reality for some people – issues with holding the bits/accessories tightly
- If you are getting a high performance electric Dremel tool, the Dremel 4300 or Dremel 4000 might be a better option if you are concerned about the EZ change system
- The Dremel 4300 has replaced this tool as the premium high performance electrical dremel tool
What Else Do You Need To Use This Electric Dremel Tool?
Common optional extras with this electric dremel tool are:
- Flex shaft attachment – Dremel 225-01 Flex Shaft Attachment (on Amazon)
- 160 Bit Dremel Accessory Kit – Dremel 710-08 All-Purpose Rotary Accessory Kit, 160-Piece (on Amazon)
Where Can I Check Out This Electric Dremel Tool?
Dremel 4200 Rotary Tool: Buyer’s Guide
What is the Dremel 4200?
An electric/corded Dremel rotary tool which is variable speed.
What is the Dremel 4200 used for?
Dremel rotary tools like the Dremel 4200 are best used for light-medium finishing tasks like carving, engraving, cutting, grinding, sharpening, cleaning, polishing, sanding and drilling.
Who is the Dremel 4200 for?
- Those who want a high performance variable speed electric Dremel tool
- Those who want an electric dremel tool that comes with bits for carving, engraving, cutting, grinding, sharpening, cleaning, polishing, sanding and drilling
Who is the Dremel 4200 not for?
- Those who want the top high performance Dremel model, which is the Dremel 4300
- Those who want a small or micro electric dremel tool that is one or two speed
- Those who want more of a value for money electric dremel tool like the Dremel 3000 or Dremel 4000 models
- Those who don’t want to deal with potential issues from the EZ Change system
What accessories or attachments would you get with the Dremel 4200?
- Extra Dremel bits as required for the tasks you want to perform
- A flex shaft attachment for precision work (can hold it like a pen for things like wood carving)
Dremel 4200 Rotary Tool: Resources
[alert-announce]”tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com”
“Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates”[/alert-announce]