When is comes to installing off grid solar panels, there are various ways you can fix or mount a panel.
The most common way for standard rigid/solid solar panels is with Z brackets, which are usually supplied with the panel.
But, there are several other mounting options – with a solar panel pole mount being one of those options.
The best solar panel pole mount will be easy to assemble, and be strong enough to resist winds and other loads that a pole mount must be designed for.
Let’s look at a good solar panel pole mount by the RENOGY solar brand.
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Top Rated List of Solar Panel Pole Mounts
Best Solar Panel Pole Mount – RENOGY Solar Panel Pole Mount (on Amazon)
Best Solar Panel Pole Mount: Reviews
RENOGY Solar Panel Pole Mount (27.4 inches)
What’s Good About This Pole Mount?
- Mount is 27.4 inches wide and made of aluminium, with stainless steel fasteners
- Designed for off-grid applications, when mounting to a roof is not ideal
- The mount is angled, so you can angle the panel into the sun
- It is adjustable between 15-65 degrees.
- Manufactured to be corrosion free
- Designed to withstand 50 psf (125 mph wind loads) – quite solid and strong
- Easy to assemble
- 1 Year material warranty
- Included are Two T-Slotted Brackets, Four L-Brackets, Two U-Bolts, Ten Cap Head Bolts and Eighteen Spring Washers, Four End Clamp, Four Washers (Large), Two L-Channels, Two Support Arms, Eight T-Bolts, Eighteen Washers (Small), Eight Nuts (Small), Eight Nuts (Large)
What’s Not So Great?
- Doesn’t come with tools to assemble. You will need – Socket Wrench, Torque extension, Box-Leveler, Tape measure, 18mm wrench or socket for larger hex nut, 13mm wrench or socket for smaller hex nut
- Fits one Renogy 50 watt or 100 watt solar panel – check the dimensions of your solar panel before buying to make sure it fits in with the Renogy dimensions. Renogy states the mount is only designed for Renogy solar panels.
- There may be an extra cost involved in getting the panel installed. Renogy gives these instructions on their site about the product: “This equipment should be installed, adjusted, and serviced by qualified electrical maintenance personnel familiar with the construction and operation of the equipment and the hazards involved. Failure to observe this precaution may result in bodily injury. Protective gloves and safety glasses should be worn during installation”
- The pole is NOT included – only the mount. Renogy recommends a 4 inch diameter pole.
What Else Do You Need To Use It?
- Renogy Solar Panel Kit with Controller – Renogy 100 Watts Monocrystalline Solar Panel Starter Kit (on Amazon)
You can read more about rigid solar panels in this guide if you want to know more.
Where To Check It Out?
Best Solar Panel Pole Mount: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
What Is A Solar Panel Pole Mount?
A solar panel pole mount is a mounting device that is raised in the air via a pole, and is used mainly off-grid i.e. away from the home.
What Are Solar Panel Pole Mounts Used For?
Solar panel pole mounts are used either where mounting on a surface like a roof or the ground is not ideal,
OR, where using another solar panel mount like a ground mount won’t be ideal for the application you want to use your solar panel in.
Which Solar Panel Pole Mount To Get – How To Choose?
There are two types of solar panel pole mounts on the market:
Single panel pole mounts
Multiple panel pole mounts
Depending on how many solar panels you want your mount to hold, you can choose either.
However, keep quality in mind when choosing, as these mounts aren’t heavily manufactured as much as some other solar accessories might be.
What Features To Look For, and Considerations To Make When Choosing A Solar Panel Pole Mount
Always read the manufacturer instructions when choosing a solar panel pole mount. But, pay attention to the following:
What actually comes included – just the mounting pieces?
Do you need professional help to install, or can you do it yourself?
If you can do it yourself, what tools do you need to install the panel yourself?
What wind and corrosion ratings does the mount have?
What diameter pole is the mount designed for?
What size solar panel does the mount fit?
What are the details of the warranty that the mount comes with?
Solar Panel Pole Mount – Accessories
You’ll need a solar panel system. But, Renogy also suggests the following tools for putting the mount together:
Socket Wrench, Torque extension, Box-Leveler, Tape measure, 18mm wrench or socket for larger hex nut, 13mm wrench or socket for smaller hex nut
In addition, Renogy (on their site) states the moount should be “installed, adjusted, and serviced by qualified electrical maintenance personnel”.
Best Solar Panel Pole Mount: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.