This quick read guide is about the best 16 gauge finish nailer.
We’ve already written about 15 gauge finish nail guns, and 16 gauge finish nail guns shoot the slightly thinner nails of the two.
Because it is a finish nail, you still get a strong fixing, but just slight less support than a thicker 15 gauge nail.
Finish nails while stronger than brad and pin nails, will leave bigger nail holes and can split thin or delicate materials like molding – so cater that in.
Let’s have a look …
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Top Rated 16 Gauge Finish Nailer List
Best Value For Money 16 Gauge Finish Nailer – Hitachi NT65M2S 16-Gauge Finish Nailer (on Amazon)
Best 16 Gauge Finish Nailer: Reviews
Hitachi NT65M2S 16-Gauge Finish Nailer
What Is Good About This 16 Gauge Finish Nailer?
- Affordable – a main reason we chose this finish nailer is because of the price compared to what you get with it – it’s a value for money deal for most people
- Designed for installing molding, chair rail, cabinetry and other fine finish type applications.
- Fires 16 gauge finish nailers from 1″ up to 2-1/2″ in length
- There is a switch which allows you to change between nail bump fire or nail sequential fire modes
- Air duster that clears dust and debris away from the surface you’re working on
- Can clear nail jams tool-free
- Depth of nail drive dial – easy to change depth you are driving the nail
- Light – only 3.7 lbs
- No marking tip
- Along with the tool, includes tool fitting, safety glasses, no-mar tip, hex bar wrench and case.
What Are Some Potential Improvements?
- There is no belt clip if you want to attach the gun to your waist while you aren’t using it
- Straight nail magazine – some people prefer angle nail magazines for getting into tighter spots
- When set to it’s deepest nail setting, the nail doesn’t always set all the way in – it sits flush or sits above flush level. Not great for countersinking
- This nail gun seems to need a solid and flat contact with material to set the nails properly. If you have it at a slightly off angle, you can have issues getting the nails to set properly. Kind of defeats the purpose of the angled magazine in some instances
What Else Might You Need With This Finish Nailer?
2 Inches Long 16 Gauge Finish Nails – DEWALT DCS16200 2-Inch by 16 Gauge Finish Nail (Box of 2500) (on Amazon)
2.5 Inches Long 16 Gauge Finish Nails – DEWALT DCS16250 2-1/2-Inch by 16 Gauge Finish Nail, Box of 2500 (on Amazon)
A Pancake Air Compressor –PORTER CABLE 6 Gallon Pancake Compressor Kit (on Amazon)
Where To Check Out This Finish Nailer?
Best 16 Gauge Finish Nailer: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
What Is A 16 Gauge Finish Nailer?
A 16 gauge finish nailer is a nail gun that shoots nails which are 16 gauge.
’16 gauge’ is a way to describe the size/thickness and length of the nails the gun shoots.
A finish nailer fits into the range of nail guns that are used for finishing type activities, along with brad nailers (18 gauge) and pin nailers (23 gauge).
On a scale, the nails could be described as the following:
15 Gauge Finish Nails – thickest and strongest fixing…usually around 0.0720 inches, or 1.829mm thick
16 Gauge Finish Nails – usually around 0.067 inches , or 1.70 mm thick
18 Gauge Brad Nails
23 Gauge Pin Nails – thinnest and weakest fixing
So, the lower the number, the thicker the nail and stronger the fixing.
What Is A 16 Gauge Finish Nailer Used For?
16 Gauge finish nailers are a slightly thinner nail than a 15 gauge finish nail.
They also might be headless and straight nails (look more like a brad nail), compared to a 15 gauge nail which is quite round with a nail head,a nd is usually an angled nail – a different profile to the rest of the nails.
So, use a 16 gauge finish nailer on baseboards, crown moldings, window and door trim, stairs, and picture rails – where you want a strong fixing, but a smaller nail than the 15 gauge.
You can even use 16 gauge finish nails for exterior molding and trim.
They would not be suitable where you want small nail holes the size of pin nails, or where you are fixing small or fragile materials which could split when shot with a 16 gauge finish nail.
16 Gauge Finish Nailer Bits & Accessories
16 Gauge Finish Nails – you get them in differing lengths
Air Compressor – a pancake compressor is usually OK
Air hose with connection to attach to the gun
How To Choose A 16 Gauge Finish Nailer
Refer to the finish nailer guide.
Features To Look For In A 16 Gauge Finish Nailer
Refer to the finish nailer guide.
Best 16 Gauge Finish Nailer: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.