Finish nailers shoot 15 or 16 gauge nails.
In this quick read guide – we discuss the best 15 gauge finish nailers which are the slightly thicker of the two nail gauges.
15 gauge nails are the strongest fixing you can get for finishing type activities like nailing baseboards and molding, but they also leave the biggest holes to fill.
The best 15 gauge finish nail gun reviews, and top rated list below should save you time and money in searching for a 15 gauge nailer.
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Top Rated 15 Gauge Finish Nailer List
Best Value For Money 15 Gauge Finish Nailer – Hitachi NT65MA4 15-Gauge Angled Finish Nailer (on Amazon)
Best 15 Gauge Finish Nailer: Reviews
Hitachi NT65MA4 15-Gauge Angled Finish Nailer
What’s Good About This 15 Gauge Finish Nailer?
- Affordable compared to other 15 gauge finish nailers on the market
- Designed for installing crown and base moldings, window and door casings, chair rails, cabinets, exterior trim and staircases.
- Shoots 15-Gauge nails ranging in length from 1-1/4″ up to 2-1/2″
- Integrated air duster for clearing dust/debris
- Angle magazine – better sometimes for getting into tight or awkward work spaces
- Tool free nail clearing in the situation of a jam
- Nail settings available for sequential or contact nailing
- Nail settings available for depth of nail drive
- 360 degree adjustable air exhaust (can direct air away from you)
- Lightweight – only 4.2 lbs
- No marking tip
- 100 Nail capacity magazine
- Tool comes with safety glasses, 1/4″ NPT Male Plug and carrying case
What Are Some Potential Improvements For This Nailer?
- No belt clip for hooking to your belt for extended use
- Doesn’t come with oil or lubricant – you’ll have to get your own (although oil is fairly cheap)
What Else Might I Need With This Nailer?
15 Gauge Nails 2 inch length – Senco A302000 15-Gauge by 2-Inch Bright Basic Finish Nail (on Amazon)
15 Gauge Nails 2.5 inch length – Senco A302509 15 Gauge by 2-1/2-Inch Electro Galvanized Finish Nail (on Amazon)
A Pancake Air Compressor –PORTER CABLE 6 Gallon Pancake Compressor Kit (on Amazon)
Where Can I Check Out This 15 Gauge Finish Nailer?
Best 15 Gauge Finish Nailer: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
What Is A 15 Gauge Finish Nailer?
A 15 gauge finish nailer is a nail gun that shoots nails which are 15 gauge.
’15 gauge’ is a way to describe the size/thickness and length of the nails the gun shoots.
A finish nailer fits into the range of nail guns that are used for finishing type activities, along with brad nailers (18 gauge) and pin nailers (23 gauge).
On a scale, the nails could be described as the following:
15 Gauge Finish Nails – thickest and strongest fixing
16 Gauge Finish Nails
18 Gauge Brad Nails
23 Gauge Pin Nails – thinnest and weakest fixing
So, the lower the number, the thicker the nail and stronger the fixing.
What Is A 15 Gauge Finish Nailer Used For?
15 Gauge finish nailers are used for the thickest/heaviest finishing tasks where you need a strong fixing.
Example of this are thick baseboards, crown moldings, window and door trim, stairs, and picture rails – among other finishing materials.
You can even use 15 gauge finish nails for exterior molding and trim.
They would not be suitable where you want small nail holes, where you don’t want to putty up the holes, or where you are fixing small or fragile materials which could split when shot with a 15 gauge finish nail.
15 Gauge Finish Nailer Bits & Accessories
15 Gauge Finish Nails – you get them in differing lengths
Air Compressor – a pancake compressor is usually OK
Air hose with connection to attach to the gun
How To Choose A 15 Gauge Finish Nailer
Refer to the finish nailer guide.
Features To Look For In A 15 Gauge Finish Nailer
Refer to the finish nailer guide.
Best 15 Gauge Finish Nailer: Resources
Tooljuice.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, Tooljuice.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.